A two-stringed, spike bowl fiddle with a resonator made of coconut shell, a wooden soundtable and a long cuboid wooden neck that curves at the end. Two friction pegs are on the side with the strings wrapped around them. Only one silk string remains in place. There is also a small bridge of bamboo.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:There is a piece of paper crumpled inside the base and there is a cylindrical piece attached to the bottom of the base. The piece of paper inside the instrument states "2 6 san Kin 1-yen 20-sen" (2 6 san, 1- yen, 20-sen in Japanese money) in Sumi ink with seal which reads 'Kawa'i sei' (made by Kawa'i).
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.321-7 Necked bowl lutes sounded by bowing
- Repository:Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Measurements:Height: 955mm; Width: 115mm; Depth: 85mm