A two-stringed, bowed spike fiddle having a resonator made of a coconut shell with an animal skin soundtable, and a long cylindrical wooden neck with a carved ivory pegbox and finial. There are two friction tuning pegs made of wood with large ivory knobs. The instrument stands on a spike made of iron alloy that goes through the inside of the resonator and enters into the neck. There is a small, loose metal tailpiece ring around the spike that would secure the black horsehair strings, which are broken.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Inlaid ivory flower decoration at the neck (missing in places).
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.311 Spike bowl lutes
- Repository:Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Measurements:Height: 835mm; Width: 140mm; Depth: 90mm