Clarinet made of boxwood, in four sections (upper, middle and lower joints, and bell), with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. It has six flat, square-cover keys mounted with pivots in protruded knobs and lower stock bulge, with flat springs attached to keys. The barrel and mouthpiece are missing, as is the bell ferrule. Nominal pitch: probably B-flat.
D'Almaine & Co [Corporation]
Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: [Prince of Wales feathers with ribbon of leaves and flowers] / D'ALMAINE & Co. / LATE (upside down) / GOULDING & D'ALMAINE / SOHO SQUARE / LONDON|Stamped on body joints: [Prince of Wales feathers] / D'ALMAINE & Co.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Height: 555mm; Bell diameter: 60mm