Euphonium in B flat
This instrument is associated with the Cyfarthfa Band, one of the greatest and oldest virtuoso nineteen-century brass bands, founded in 1838 by iron magnate Robert Thompson Crawshay. It is a euphonium with an upright bell, made of brass with nickel silver trimmings and mechanisms. It has four rotary valves with clock-spring mechanism and mechanical linkages. It has one water-key located on main tuning slide. The second valve tuning slide has a pulling ring. There is also a lyre holder, two carrying strap ring plates, and a thumb holder ring plate. The leadpipe leads directly into the valves so that a large proportion of the bore is conical. Nominal pitch: B-flat.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Engraved garland, ferrules, mouthpiece receiver, valve caps, rotor screw touches, and ring plates.
- Inscriptions:Engraved silver plate soldered on bell: [coat of arms of Austrian Empire] / Franz Bock (gothic script) / K: K: priv: / Instrumenten Fabrik / IN WIEN|Engraved on bell: Imported by / Hanson & Co. (gothic script) / Sole Agents / 17 Rochester Row / LONDON / SW|Engraved on garland: W.T.CRAWSHAY, ESQ.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Length: 710mm; Width: 295mm; Bore at the mouthpiece receiver: 13.4mm; Sounding length: 2615mm