Baritone in B flat
This instrument is associated with the Cyfarthfa Band, one of the greatest and oldest virtuoso nineteen-century brass bands, founded in 1838 by iron magnate Robert Thompson Crawshay. It is a baritone with an upright bell, made of brass with nickel silver trimmings and mechanisms. It has four rotary valves with clock-spring mechanism and brass mechanical linkages (some elements broken and/or missing). It has one water-key located on main tuning slide. The second valve tuning slide has a pulling ring. There is also a lyre holder, two carrying strap ring plates, and a thumb holder ring plate. Nominal pitch: B-flat.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Engraved valve caps. Embossed bow guard.
- Inscriptions:Engraved silver plate soldered on bell: [coat of arms of Austrian Empire] / K:K:Hof / Instrumenten Fabrik / Leopold Uhlmann / IN WIEN|Engraved on bell flare: CYFARTHFA BAND
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Length: 722mm; Bell diameter: 196mm; Bore at the mouthpiece receiver: 12.6mm; Sounding length: 2625mm