Bass tuba (low B flat)
Bass tuba with an upright bell, made of brass, with nickel-silver valve buttons. It has three front-action, bottom-sprung piston valves with cork paddings. The leadpipe goes into the main tuning slide, which has a water-key. The second valve tuning slide has a pulling ring. There is also a lyre holder, two carrying strap ring plates, and a thumb holder ring plate. Nominal pitch: low B-flat.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: THE EMPEROR / BASS / EXCELSIOR SONOROUS / CLASS A / HAWKES & SON / Denman Street / Piccadilly Circus / LONDON / 42300|Stamped on second valve casing: Hawkes & Son / London / 2 / 42300|Stamped on valve casings: 13 14 and 15
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Length: 972mm; Bell diameter: 439-443mm; Bore at the mouthpiece receiver: 13.9mm; Sounding length: 5350mm