This instrument is associated with the Cyfarthfa Band, one of the greatest and oldest virtuoso nineteen-century brass bands, founded in 1838 by iron magnate Robert Thompson Crawshay. It is a bass tuba with an upright bell, made of brass with nickel silver trimmings and mechanisms. It has four rotary valves with clock-spring mechanism and brass mechanical linkages (some elements broken and/or missing). There is a lyre holder, two carrying strap ring plates, and a thumb holder ring plate. Nominal pitch: E-flat.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Engraved valve caps.
- Inscriptions:Engraved silver plate soldered on bell: [coat of arms of Austrian Empire] / Leopold Uhlmann (gothic script) / K: K: priv: / Instrumenten Fabrik in Wien / Mariahilf Barnabitengasse / N = 6|Engraved on garland: W. T. CRAWSHAY, ESQ.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Length: 905mm; Bell diameter: 274mm; Bore at mouthpiece receiver: 14mm; Sounding length: 4565mm