Flugelhorn in B flat
This instrument might be associated with the Cyfarthfa Band, one of the greatest and oldest virtuoso nineteen-century brass bands, founded in 1838 by iron magnate Robert Thompson Crawshay. German-style flugelhorn made of silver-plated brass with some nickel-silver trimmings and mechanisms. It has four rotary valves with clock-spring mechanism and mechanical linkages. The second valve touch is broken. There is also a brass mouthpiece. Nominal pitch: B-flat.
Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Bratislava (Timezone: Europe/Bratislava)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.231.11 Valve bugles with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Engraved garland with acanthus leaves over a "mesh-like" background.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: IMPORTED / BY / HENRY DISTIN / MILITARY INSTRUMENT / MAKER / 31 CRANBOURN ST. / LEICESTER SQUARE / LONDON|Engraved on garland: JOH. RIEDL IN PRESSBURG
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.11 Valve bugles with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Cyfarthfa Castle Museum
- Measurements:Length: 325mm; Bell diameter: 137mm; Bore at mouthpiece receiver: 11.5mm