Mechanical musical box, with an 13-inch brass cylinder roller and steel lamellas. The mechanism includes a set of six bells that are hit by external butterfly-shaped clappers. It can play a selection of twelve "Airs." The case has an interior glass panel lid which allows to see the mechanism.
second half of 19th century
Swindon Museum & Art Gallery
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:122.2-9 Mechanically driven lamellaphones (or plucked idiophones) with cut-out lamellae
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:The veneered case includes two marquetry inlays featuring a festooned design with musical instruments, flowers, foliage and ribbons.
- Inscriptions:Stamped on cylinder: 373-13
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:122.2-9 Mechanically driven lamellaphones (or plucked idiophones) with cut-out lamellae
- Repository:Swindon Museum & Art Gallery
- Measurements:Width: 660mm; Height: 320mm; Depth: 380mm