Military side drum
Military side drum with emblazoned metal shell, wooden counterhoops, 14-inch skin heads, and rope-tensioned with the British style white leather braces (round edge, white, with vellum lace). The counterhoops have eight drilled holes and brass saddles through which the tensioning rope passes. There is a J-hook screw style snare strainer for gut snares, and the batter head has three brass feet match-painted with the counterhoop decoration.
National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, Portsmouth Division, with Royal Coat of Arms featuring George IV cyphers, and Royal Marines badge.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Measurements:Diameter: 370mm; Height: 380mm