Contrabass à anche
Double-reed, metal contrabass made entirely of brass, with a double-coiled configuration and a detachable crook. It has seventeen keys with cylinder cups, mounted on posts with rods, affixed on plates, with needle and flat springs attached to keys and posts. There are two water-keys: one on crook and the other on the second bow.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: [embossed plate with Royal coat of arms] / GOLD MEDAL / PARIS 1878 / [six-pointed star] / C. MAHILLON / LONDON / & / BRUSSELS
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.112 (Single) oboes with conical bore
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Height: 1045mm; Bell diameter: 240mm; Sounding length: 3795mm; Crook length (without inner tenon): 380mm