This is a slide contrabass trombone made of brass in two sections (slide section and bell section), joined by a ligature-screw joint. The slide is double-coiled and has a handle connected to the brace with a wooden grip. There is a double water-key that can be individually operated. The bell seam has a triangular gusset. Nominal pitch: B-flat.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on bell: THE EMPEROR / EXCELSIOR SONOROUS / CLASS A / HAWKES & SON / Denman Street / Piccadilly Circus / LONDON|Stamped on mouthpiece receiver: HAWKES / & SON / LONDON|Stamped on bell: 26731
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.22 Labrosones with slides
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Length: 1280mm; Bell diameter: 230mm; Sounding length: 5660mm