This instrument is associated with the Royal Military School of Music. It is a sousaphone made entirely of silver-plated brass, with three bottom-sprung piston valves. The bell is gold plated on the outside. The bell colar screws are missing.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Engraved on bell: THE / "ALLIANCE" / SOLD / BY / J. R. LAFLEUR & SON/LTD / 147. WARDOUR STREET / LONDON.W.1 (all inside shield surrounded by acanthus leaves)|Engraved on bell collar: R.M.S.M. 01.|Stamped on valve casings: 10 11 12 and 3 (on second valve casing)
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.231.2 Valve bugles with wide bore
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Height: 1420mm; Corpus diameter: 685x720; Bell diameter: 660mm