Military side drum
This instrument is associated with the Middlesex Regiment, Duke of Cambridge's Own. It is a military side drum with emblazoned metal shell, wooden counterhoops, 14-inch skin heads, and rope-tensioned with the British style white leather braces (round edge, white, with vellum lace). The counterhoops have eight drilled holes and brass saddles through which the tensioning rope passes. There is a screw snare strainer for gut snares.
Museum of Army Music
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Heraldic emblazonment of the Middlesex Regiment, Duke of Cambridge’s Own, with badge and respective battle honours over a bright yellow background.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Height: 400mm; Diameter: 380mm