A guitar, c. 1830, made of rosewood with a maple neck veneered in ebony. Strung with four, more modern, wire strings. Four piece back, somewhat convex, of rosewood. The neck and ‘pegbox’ of maple veneered in ebony. Neck/body joint at twelfth fret. Back and front edged with ivory edging. The unvarnished front of spruce also outlined with broad black banding inlaid with two pairs of fine lines each side of eyes of Mother of Pearl. Similar border to soundhole with triplets of lines. Bridge with extended crescent ‘moustaches’ with circular tips holding Mother of Pearl inserts. Machines with bone barrels and Mother of Pearl heads (one replaced with a wooden head) Front barred transversely, with two above soundhole and three below.
National Trust, Lacock Abbey
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- View the original record:http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/1518457.1