Whistle; vessel flute
Whistle, vessel flute. A very shallow wooden cylinder with three circular fingerholes around its edge. The holes are positioned at 90 degrees to each other around the circular faces to form two side holes and one at the base. Each connects to the central cavity within. The tops of the circular faces are connected by two holes with a carrying cord laced between them. The front face has a cross carved in shallow relief at its centre, with arms of equal length. There are also incised decorations around the rim, which include triangles framing each of the holes.
- Materials:vegetable fibre, wood
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.13 Vessel flutes (without distinct beak)
- Repository:Horniman Museum and Gardens
- Measurements:overall: 55 x 60 x 20 mm