Guitar. The arched back and the ribs are constructed from fluted ebony ribs with narrow ivory stringing. The back of the neck is decorated with a chequered pattern of ebony and ivory. The fingerboard is decorated with inlaid triangles of ebony and mother of pearl. The table appears to have been stained and is decorated with an incised scrolling pattern filled with mastic. Deep vellum architectural rose, possibly from a harpsichord. A black bituminous substance has been applied around the body at the level of the top rib. Five double courses of strings. The rear-entrant pegs are of ivory with trefoil heads. Printed papers (Italian text) reinforce the back.
- Materials:gut, ivory, mother of pearl, resin, wood
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.322 Necked box lutes or necked guitars
- Repository:Horniman Museum and Gardens
- Measurements:overall: 260 x 955 x 180 mm