Frame drum. A child's toy drum with a rotating ratchet mechanism. The drum has a metal frame and a single membrane. The membrane is of paper, which also covers the frame. Printed Cyrillic lettering is visible on the inside surface. A wire armature is wrapped twice around the frame and links it with the birch twig handle. The twig has four arched wire spokes. These turn and engage with a small wooden beater, held between the two arms of the armature by a twisted cord, when the toy is whirled.
- Materials:vegetable fibre, metal thread, paper, iron, wood
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.321 Single-skin frame drums with handle
- Repository:Horniman Museum and Gardens
- Measurements:overall: 200 x 105 x 28 mm