Military side drum
Military side drum with emblazoned metal shell and wooden counterhoops, 16-inch skin heads, rope-tensioned with British style white leather braces, and drag rope. The counterhoops have 9 drilled holes through which the tensioning rope passes. J-hook screw style snare strainer with gut snares. The batter head has 3 metal feet match-painted with the counterhoop decoration. The 14th (Middlesex) (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteers was the name that the Inns of Court Regiment took in 1889, when the unit became a battalion of the Rifle Brigade. In 1908, it became the Inns of Court Officers' Training Corps.
Henry Potter & Co [Corporation]
Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Painted in black lettering inside a golden background rectangle on the side of the shell, near the snare adjustment screw and vent hole, reading with text 45-degrees left-rotated in a single line: HENRY POTTER & CO., 36/8 West Street, Charing X Road, LONDON, W. C. 2.|Painted in black lettering inside scroll banners of shell emblazoning: 14TH MIDDLESEX VOLR RIFLE CORPS. / R INNS OF COURT. V / SOUTH AFRICA, 1900-01.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.11 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, one skin used for playing
- Repository:Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Museum
- Measurements:Height: 400mm. Diameter: 400mm