Military bass drum
Military bass drum with emblazoned wooden shell and wooden counterhoops, 28-inch skin heads, and rope-tensioned with Brtisih style leather braces. The counterhoops have 12 drilled holes and metal saddles through which the tensioning rope passes. The 14th (Middlesex) (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteers was the name that the Inns of Court Regiment took in 1889, when the unit became a battalion of the Rifle Brigade. In 1908, it became the Inns of Court Officers' Training Corps. This drum was carried by the regiment during the war at the temporary training camp of the corps on Berkhamsted Common which operated from 1914 to 1919.
Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:211.212.12 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, both heads played
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Painted in black lettering inside scroll banners of shell emblazoning: 14TH MIDDLESEX / VOLR RIFLE CORPS. / R INNS OF COURT. V / SOUTH AFRICA, 1900-01.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.212.12 Individual double-skin cylindrical drums, both heads played
- Repository:Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Museum
- Measurements:Width: 405mm. Diameter: 735mm