This flute was made Goulding & Co., London, during the 18th Century and it was used during the 19th century in the parish church at Wickham Market, in Suffolk. The company Goulding & Co., originally founded by George Goulding in 1787, was a renowned company of musical instruments, and it went through various partnerships.The four joints are made of boxwood and the mounts that connects them are made of ivory. The single key is square and made of silver. The six finger holes are placed on the centre joints. The name of the maker is inscribed on the centre piece. There is an additional head joint piece. Significantly, the four piece construction of flutes allowed the provision of several interchangeable upper centre joints, which consented to the flute to be played at different pitches.
Goulding & Co [Corporation]
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)