This melodeon consists in a frame of ebonised wood with chromed white metal mounts to the soundbox of patterned green paper covered card with black leatherette edges and chamois leather or similar corner inserts. The stops have chromed white metal hinges and pushbuttons and there is a small bell of the same metal. There is a gold border to the frame and the right-hand end panel is inscribed twice "Gold Medal GLASGOW 1890" and once " The Miniature" Melodeon Manufactured in Germany for Campbell & Co. Joint Patentees". There is a fabric band for left hand and a leather loop for right thumb. The melodion is stored in its original card box covered in paper to look like wood. This melodeon belonged to Mary Isabella Fairer, head housemaid at Ednehall near Penrith. Born in 1890, she worked there for seven and a half years until her marriage in 1919 to Robert Brunskill Richardson, a railwayman. She used to entertain the staff at Ednehall, with her singing (she was an alto) accompanying herself on the melodeon. After her marriage it was used at home in Earby, Lancashire, although its very good condition indicates this was infrequent. She died in 1965.
- Inventory number:
- Place of production: