Mandolino with six double courses of gut strings. Front two-piece, very fine-grained. Soundhole with inserted rose. Back of fifteen ribs. Back of semicircular transverse section above the wide edge ribs. Joints strengthened with lengthways parchment strips. End-clasp plain with one line of purfling. Neck and pegbox all veneered on unidentified core. Back of neck and pegbox veneered in tortoiseshell. Six bone or ivory frets on front; eight double gut frets on neck. Pegbox open-backed with sides of mother-of-pearl and lines of ivory. Ebony pegs with ivory collars and buttons. Inlays at neck/body joint. Lute-bridge with simple foliate ends, of ?maple, with mother-of-pearl strip on top with edging of ebony.
Presbler, Francesco [Person]Presbler, Giuseppe [Person]
Royal College of Music Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Printed label: "Francesco Presbler, / e Giuseppe Figlio / In Milano nella Contrada / della Dogana al Segno / Del Sole / 1778 [last digit handwritten]"
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Royal College of Music Museum
- Measurements:Length: 539mm. Width: 159mm. Depth: 87mm.
- View the original record:http://museumcollections.rcm.ac.uk/collection/Details/collect/1211