Five-course baroque guitar, later converted to six single strings. Front two-piece, book-matched, of fine to medium grain: edges have banding of mother-of-pearl in mastic with outer line of bone. Soundhole with large decorative collar of overlapping semicircles as on edge-banding. Inlaid mother-of-pearl vase and flowers near tail; blank shield and fleur de lys at end of fingerboard. Foliate moustaches survive from the original bridge. Ribs and back of snakewood: ribs of five strips, the back of 21, separated by bone lines. Back of neck chequered with bone/snakewood marquetry. The peghead is laminated, consisting of eight alternate layers of bone and wood, with a front face of ebony, bone, and mother-of-pearl marquetry. Fingerboard covered in similar marquetry, with later bone fret.
Royal College of Music Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Measurements:Length: 884mm. Width: 247mm.
- View the original record:http://museumcollections.rcm.ac.uk/collection/Details/collect/1181