Soundboard of pine, sides of cypress, and case of tooled leather, with decoration in the style of about 1550. Naturals of boxwood and sharps stained hardwood. The instrument's present range is forty-seven notes, C-d3, and has two 'eight foot' registers, having originally only had one.
Jerome of Bologna
Victoria and Albert Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Materials:Cypress case and soundboard, with decorative stringing, gilding and inlay
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Hieronymus Bononiensis faciebat Romae MDXXI Jerome of Bologna made this in Rome in 1521 Aspicite ut trahitur suavi modulamine vocis/ Quidquid habent aer sider terra fretum See how whatever the sky, stars, earth and see possess is brought out by the sweet modulation of its voice.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Victoria and Albert Museum
- Measurements:Length: 180 cm, Width: 75 cm, Depth: 22.1 cm, Weight: 39 kg
- View the original record:http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O58980