Technical description: stained boxwood; 4 sections; brass key; 3 narrow ivory ferrules (2 domed, 1 flat); no foot ferrule; fixed wooden cap; large circular embouchure-hole; irregularly aligned finger-holes.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 1 key.; Keyhead type: flat square.; Keymount type: ring.; Usable pitch: A₄ c|453|Hz.; Performance characteristics: [original range D₄|-|A₆]; in present condition plays with an airy sound and only in middle and upper registers.
Late 18th or early 19th century
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped very faintly, but on every section, "WHITAKER / LONDON".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 596.; Sounding length: 529.; Bore: conical.