Technical description: ebony; 5 sections; silver keys; 5 ivory ferrules plus cap and screw; metal-lined head; wood-covered, graduated tuning-slide; screw-stopper; irregular circular embouchure-hole; overlapping low C/C♯ touches.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 6 keys (to C).; Keyhead type: small pewter plugs, with metal-lined key-holes.; Keymount type: ring/knob.; Usable pitch: A₄ c|434|Hz|-|c|443|Hz.; Performance characteristics: range C₄|-|A₆; lowest notes and A₆ not speaking clearly in present condition, but mechanism works well; the flute is heavy but feels well-balanced when in playing position.
Potter, William Henry [Person]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped "WILLM. HENY. / POTTER" (stamped twice, overlapping) / "IOHNSON'S COURT / FLEET STREET / LONDON", with "PATENT" on head ferrule and gradations "4", "5" and "6" on screw and tuning-slide cover ("6" is above main inscription).
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 674.; Sounding length: 597.; Bore: conical.