Technical description: rosewood; 4 sections (lower body and foot in one piece); silver keys; 5 chased silver ferrules; metal tuning-slide extension from head, but head not metal-lined; metal sockets (top of upper body and top of lower body); tuning section has tenon at lower end; wooden cap with long ivory screw-stopper; large, slightly irregular circular embouchure-hole; small finger-holes; G♯ key-hole on upper body (key set diagonally);long F keyshank curves round towards player, suggesting that the lower body is intended to be turned well away from the player; overlapping low C/C♯ touches.; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 8 keys.; Keyhead type: silver disc attached to shank, with white leather pads mounted on central screws.; Keymount type: knob.; Usable pitch: A₄ c|446|Hz.; Performance characteristics: [original range C₄|-|B♭₆]; does not speak easily below E₄ or above E₆ in present condition.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped with a crown and "MONZANI & CO / 28, REGENT STT / PICCADILLY / LONDON / 2456"; a crown stamped on each keyhead; hallmark for 1824-5 stamped on upper body ferrule together with initials "M" and "H" (Monzani and Hill); initials "TM" and "HH" (Tebaldo Monzani and Henry Hill) stamped on lower body ferrule; foot stamped with a crown and "PATENT".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 681.; Sounding length: 594.; Bore: conical.