Technical description: rosewood; 4 sections (lower body and foot in one piece); silver keys; 5 silver ferrules; wooden cap and screw-stopper; head not metal-lined and no tuning-slide, but instrument does have a separate tuning section; metal sockets (top of upper body and top of lower body); circular embouchure-hole; rounded edges to finger-holes; interlocking low C/C♯ touches with roller between; G♯ key-hole on upper body (key set diagonally).; Nominal pitch: C.; Type or system: 8 keys plus duplicate B?.; Keyhead type: silver discs attached to shanks, with flat leather pads mounted on central screws.; Keymount type: knob.; Usable pitch: A₄ c|454|Hz in present condition (only middle register tested).; Performance characteristics: range C₄|-|A₆; low register and A₆ not speaking clearly in present condition.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped with a crown and "MONZANI & CO. / 28 REGENT STT / PICCADILLY / LONDON / 2905"; a crown stamped on each keyhead; upper body and lower body ferrules, and keyshanks for C, duplicate B?, low C? and low C stamped with hallmark for 1828-9 and initials "TM" and "HH" (Tebaldo Monzani and Henry Hill); foot stamped with a crown and "PATENT".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: 669.; Sounding length: 581.; Bore: conical.