Copper, hemispherical shell, with four pairs of suspension rings around rim, one ring broken. Tanned, shaved skin head (possibly cowskin), with traces of hair on sides, attached to the drum with 42 solid copper pegs around the rim and hide lacing on bottom. Two hide lacing handles. This drum was owned by Khalifa Abdullah. It was captured from him at the Battle of Omdurman by MacDonald’s Brigade, and presented to the Officers’ Depot of King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) by Maj. Gen. Sir Archibald Hunter, KCB DSO, on 2nd September 1898.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:211.11 (Separate) vessel drums
- Repository:National Army Museum
- Measurements:Height: 560mm; Diameter: 1050mm