Small square pianoforte with casework made from mahogany with satinwood. The case rests on four square tapering legs with mahogany veneers and satinwood edging, oval and brass paterae on the knees, and brass casters. Compass range of sixty-one notes (F1-F6). Two hand stops: the left hand one raises the damper, and the right hand one raises a padded bar against the strings to give a "buff" effect. Original keys with ivory touches. Ebony accidental keys. The piano is fitted with a music stand and propstick.
Ganer, Christopher [Person]
Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
London (Timezone: Europe/London)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:314.122-4-8 True board zithers with resonator box (box zither) sounded by hammers or beaters, with keyboard
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Wreath and floral inlays on the nameboard.
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on porcelain/enamel plaque on nameboard: GANER / GRAND & SMALL FORTEPIANO / MANUFACTURER / BROAD STREET GOLDEN SQUARE / LONDON
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:314.122-4-8 True board zithers with resonator box (box zither) sounded by hammers or beaters, with keyboard
- Repository:Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum
- Measurements:Height: 823mm; Width: 1603mm; Depth: 542mm