This flute belonged to Major W. C. Windram, Director of Music of the Coldstream Guards, who was among the 121 killed in the Guards Chapel, at Wellington Barracks, on Sunday June 18th, 1942. The band was playing on the church service when a German V1 Flying bomb struck. It is a side-blown flute made of African blackwood in four sections (head, upper and middle joints, and foot), with an extra body joint, ivory ferrules and silver keywork. It has eight flat, square-cover keys, mounted with pivots in protruded wooden knobs, with flat springs attached to keys. The head has an ivory threaded stopper screw cap with cork stopper, and an oval embouchure hole. Nominal pitch: C.
Museum of Army Music
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Dresden (Timezone: Europe/Berlin)
- Measurements:Length (with body joint two): 688mm; Length(s) of body joint two: 160mm; 205mm (with tenons); Length(s) of body joint three: 151mm; 198mm (with tenons)