Rattle made of woven willow strips, handle bound with white leather, with a metal ring attached. On a printed piece of cardboard.
Bate Collection, Oxford
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
UK, England, Somerset
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:The 'Rattlewattle' FOR CENTURIES the 'Rattlewattle' has been a symbol of love and given to newly-weds to keep away evil spirits and bring good fortune and fertility to the union. In parts of the country this ancient tradition still survives, where the rattlewattles are hand-made from locally grown willows. To bring you goo fortune Handmade by WESSEX CRAFTS for SOMERSET HOUSE WEDMORE LTD.
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Bate Collection, Oxford
- Measurements:Max L = 78 mm Max W = 20 mm