This instrument was presented to the Museum of Army Music by Captain John L. Judd in 1949. It is a bassoon made of stained maple in four sections (wing, butt, bass and bell), with brass mounts and keywork. It has thirteen saltspoon-cup keys mounted on brass saddles, with flat springs attached to keys. It has a brass crook with tipped silver tenon end, and a Wood's patent tuning slide on the wing joint. Nominal pitch: C.
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Stamped on boot joint: [crown with ribbon of leaves and flowers] / D'ALMAINE & Co. / LATE / GOULDING & D'ALMAINE / SOHO SQUARE / LONDON|Stamped on bell, wing and bass joints: [crown] / D'ALMAINE & Co.|Stamped on wing joint: WOOD'S / PATENT|Stamped on brass top cover of butt joint: Presented to / THE KNELLER HALL MUSEUM / by / Captain JOHN L. JUDD / 1949
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.112 (Single) oboes with conical bore
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Height: 1235mm