Natural horn made of brass with two crooks that are changed at the main tuning slide. The bell seam has a small triangular gusset at the end of the flare, and a partial nickel-silver garland/plate for the maker's name. The mouthpiece receiver is silver-plated.
Courtois, Neveu aîné [Person]
Museum of Army Music
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Paris (Timezone: Europe/Paris)
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.121.22 End-blown labrosones with curved or folded tubes, with mouthpiece
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:Foliage engravings (acorn leaves?) on the name's plate.
- Inscriptions:Engraved on garland: COURTOIS NEVEU RUE DES PROVEIRE ST. EUSTACHE A PARIS|Engraved on bell: [JJ? Monogram]
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.121.22 End-blown labrosones with curved or folded tubes, with mouthpiece
- Repository:Museum of Army Music
- Measurements:Corpus diameter: 370mm; Bell diameter: 271mm; Sounding length (with assembled crook): 4175mm; Crook length: 1170mm; Extra crook length: 1470mm