Single action pedal harp. The stave-built back is probably of maple, like the neck and forepillar, and is varnished in a red-brown colour, with a spruce pine soundboard. The spiral outline of the volute above the pillar is accentuated with a carved row of leaves, in an egg and dart pattern. Husks of wheat are carved into the fluting of the pillar, which ends in a design of acanthus leaves and ears of wheat. The soundboard, edged with ivory stringing, is painted with a floral design. There are thirty-seven strings of twisted gut, many of them replacements; some are blue indicating that they were built to sound the note F. The harp has béquille 'crutch' action. The strings are secured to the string holder or bridge with wooden pins with mother of pearl eyes. The tuning pegs pass through the frame and their square ends are turned with a tuning key on the side opposite the béquilles. This side of the frame has a pierced brass name plate partially concealing the harp's link mechanism. The plate is elaborately cast and reads: 'COUSINEAU PERE ET FILS' (Cousineau, Georges; and Cousineau, Jacques-Georges). There is also a painted inscription within ribbons on the soundboard: 'PERE ET FILS LUTHIERS'.
- Materials:paint, gut, wood, ivory, iron, metal thread
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:322.222 Frame harps with pedal action
- Repository:Horniman Museum and Gardens
- Measurements:overall: 1630 x 590 x 830 mm