Kit, dancing master's fiddle, ascribed to Matthias Hummel of Augsburg. The baton-shaped body is carved from a single piece of wood. The fingerboard is of tortoiseshell, edged with a black and white border. The table is of reddish brown wood and is pierced by two C-shaped soundholes. Black wooden tailpiece. The finial is ivory and carved into the shape of a cherub's head. There are four strings tuned from wooden pegs.
- Materials:ivory, gut, metal thread, ivory, tortoise shell, wood
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.321-71 necked bowl lutes
- Repository:Horniman Museum and Gardens
- Measurements:overall: 15.5512 x 1.4961 x 1.9291 in.; 395 x 38 x 49 mm