This light brown coloured wooden violin is a 4/4 size example made by Joseph Scott of Haltcliffe, a violin maker from Cumberland during the period 1720-1770. The back of the violin is made out of two pieces of wood. The tail and the bridge are not in place and the strings are missing. The fingerboard is possibly made of ebony. The violin is marked on the base of the back neck "Scott", and inside there is a label bearing Scott's name and address. On the left side of the belly is inscribed the name Henry Diron. On the back there is a mark where some of the varnish has gone. This violin was bought by the donor in 1923 for 15 pounds from Scott Music Shop, at the time located in Devonshire Street, Carlisle.
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Wigton (Timezone: Europe/London)