This dark brown wooden violin was made by Scott of (Haltcliffe?), a violin maker from Cumberland during the period 1720-1770. This example is a 4/4 size violin, the neck and tailpiece are possibly made of ebony. It has four strings tuned by the four ebony (?) pegs on the pegbox. The belly and the back are convex, through the f-holes it is possible to read a label placed on the internal part of the back, bearing: Baliol Musical Instrument (N/G) Repaired 10/10/69 Colin Chape. The violin was repaired and revarnished in 1969. This instrument belonged to the Robinson family, and it has been played for many generations, as there has been a violin player in the family in every generation. In 18th Century, according to the donor's father, it was played on the street of Carlisle when Bonnie Prince Charlie passed through. The violin was presented to Tullie House by Jane Robinson aged 14, the daughter of the donor. The bridge, which is not in place, is stamped with Aubert A' Miperaune.
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
Wigton (Timezone: Europe/London)