Pardessus de viol
Five-stringed pardessus de viole, a descant viol. Conventional viol outline with sloping shoulders and corners without points. Fine and very even-grained front with C-shaped soundholes and double purfling. Golden varnish. Back and ribs formed of strips of contrasting wood; back of five radiating pieces, two of flamed maple and three of a darker brown wood; ribs of two strips of maple and one of the darker wood. Neck and pegbox of unfigured maple. Front edges of pegbox decorated with herringbone pattern of gouge cuts; finial is a female head, with two drop-earings and a crest of flowers. Pegs of ?rosewood; nut of ?bone. Fingerboard and tailpiece of ebony on ?maple underlayer.
Guersan, Louis [Person]
Royal College of Music Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Printed label [within an oval cartouche of rocaille ornament with a dolphin on the LH side]: "Ludovicus / GUERSAN / propè Comoediam / Gallicam / Lutetioe / Anno / 1759 [last two digits in ink]"
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Royal College of Music Museum
- Measurements:Length: 629mm. Width: 196mm.
- View the original record:http://museumcollections.rcm.ac.uk/collection/Details/collect/1143