Guitar; sycamore back, pine belly, pointed shoulders, rose of stamped copper gilt with a musical instrument & diaper pattern in centre. Ebony fingerboard with fifteen brass frets, square finial on neck with chequerboard pattern in ebony & ivory, detachable mechanism on body for striking strings with felted hammers, box with Royal Arms of England.
Hintz, Johann Frederick
Victoria and Albert Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Materials:Sycamore, ebony and ivory, with stamped copper
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:'F.HINTZ' 'PRESTON INVENTOR' 'PRESTON, MAKER, LONDON.' 'PR' crowned 'SMITHS PATENT BOX' over Royal Arms of England and the word 'LONDON'
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:
- Repository:Victoria and Albert Museum
- Measurements:Length: 69 cm total, Length: 34 cm belly, Width: 31.5 cm, Depth: 7.5 cm
- View the original record:http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O72665