Belly of two pieces of pine, with an oval rose of ivory pierced and carved with a figure playing the harp. Back of rosewood, slightly arched, with ivory lines and ornamental motifs in the Tielke manner, as also the sides. Wooden side linings. Tailpiece, attached to an ivory and ebony hook-bar, and fingerboard both with marquetry of ivory and tortoiseshell with grotesques; small sections of mother-of-pearl may replace pieces of semi-precious stones. The pegbox, with marquetry similar to the fingerboard, is surmounted by an unusual scroll. The six original pegs are replaced by brass whole-plate machines by Baker, London (early nineteenth century), with ivory pins and buttons. The neck is tied with thirteen gut frets- nearly twice the usual number for a viol.
ca. 1700 (made)
Tielke, Joachim [Person]
Victoria and Albert Museum
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Measurements:Length: 117.5 cm total, Length: 67.5 cm body, Depth: 13 cm, Width: 30 cm upper bout, Width: 35.5 cm lower bout
- View the original record:http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O90818