'Moon lute' or box lute.
Technical description: Circular box, diameter 375, depth 40; face and reverse of unpolished 'tung' wood, the rim and neck of polished wood; curved top of neck surmounted by carved animal mask; hexagonal pegs; 4 silk strings; 4 frets on neck, 6 on soundboard; played with the fingers or a plectrum.
Probably before 1872, possibly before 1858
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:321.322-5 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by the bare fingers
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:321.322-5 Necked box lutes or necked guitars sounded by the bare fingers
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/16081