Flute. Nominal pitch: C.
Technical description: Ivory; 4 sections, silver key; 4 silver ferrules plus silver rim of cap; small circular embouchure-hole; tenons on upper body and lower end of lower body inserted into bore as separate units. Keymount type: ring; SATK. Keyhead type: flat spade-shaped. Repair History: Wide silver ferrule at head socket a replacement riveted on to inhibit crack, and to create a socket; the instrument probably originally had a socket at the top of the upper body and a tenon on the head (cf. (13) and (3905)), which have been exchanged and the instrument shortened. The lower body tenon is a replacement.
Post 1713 - c1754, probably p1720
Stanesby, Thomas junior [Person]
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:421.121.12 Open side-blown flutes with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:579 (without lid of cap).
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/15176