Clarinet. Nominal pitch: B♭.
Technical description: Figured boxwood with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Six pieces: mouthpiece, barrel, upper section, middle section for the fingers of the right hand, lower section with keys, bell. Levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a bell-shaped swelling. Keys in blocks and swelling, 5in saddles added later. Throat A♭ key for the left thumb. C♯₄/G♯₅ mounted to the left. Zig-zag F♯₃/C♯₅. Now 13keys. L0: T; speaker; throat A♭. L1: T; throat A♮. L2: T. L3: T; E♭₄/B♭₅. L4: C♯₄/G♯₅; E₃/B♮₄; F♯₃/C♯₅. R1: T; side F₄/C₆; side trill key for throat A-B♮ and B♭-C. R2: T; cross B♮₃/F♯₅. R3: T; cross B♭₃/F♮₅. R4: plate F₃/C₅; G♯₃/E♭₅. Keymount type: blocks, swelling, saddle. Keyhead type: flat square. Repair History: 5keys added to original 8-key instrument. F₃/C₅ tone-hole in the block has been enlarged and is now covered by a key with a hole in the centre and pivots from below. Crack in bell repaired.
Cramer & Key
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:422.211.2 (Single) clarinets with cylindrical bore, with fingerholes
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/15706