Basson russe, 3 keys, Nominal pitch: C.
Technical description: In five sections: brass crook, wooden wing with three finger-holes and one key on platform with rounded shoulders, wooden butt with three finger-holes and one key, wooden long joint with one key, brass flaring bell with garland. The finger-holes and key for the right hand vent the distal (ascending) bore, the finger-hole for R2 also vents the proximal (descending) bore. Brass mounts on wooden sections at crook receiver, top and bottom of butt and top of long joint; flat brass plate at bottom of butt. The crook has a screw-fixable clasp at the joint tenon to set depth of insertion. L0: 3rd key (numbered from nearest to mouthpiece receiver). L1: 1st finger-hole. L2: 2nd finger-hole. L3: 3rd finger-hole. L4: 1st key. R1: 6th finger-hole. R2: 4th finger-hole. R3: 5th finger-hole. R4: 2nd key., Keymount type: brass saddles, SATK. Keyhead type: flat round.
University of Edinburgh
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.213 Labrosones with fingerholes, with (wider) conical bore
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.213 Labrosones with fingerholes, with (wider) conical bore
- Repository:University of Edinburgh
- Measurements:1037; bell 206.
- View the original record:https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/record/18674