Three manual organ with a maplewood console in a painted and gilded case in the form of a triumphal arch flanked by life-size seated plaster figures and two gilded roundels of Handel. In 1818 Lincoln had installed an organ in Nash's newly built Music Room at the Royal Pavilion, Brighton, said to have been the largest and most powerful instrument in England at a cost of £3014 4s. The case was designed and decorated by Crace at a cost of £733 7s. In 1848, Lincoln was commissioned once more to dismantle and pack up the organ at Brighton and send it to Kensington Palace for storage. The new ballroom at Buckingham Palace was built by Thomas Cubitt in 1852-5. On 12 July 1855 Lincoln was paid £68 for 'adapting the organ for the Ballroom at Buckingham Palace' (LC11/136, qtr to June 1856). However, Lincoln only carried out part of the work, with the remainder being carried out by Cubitt, and the organ firm, Gray & Davison. Their accounts for the same quarter specify their work as follows: 'For completing Mr Lincoln's Contract, £100 New Bellows for a proper supply of Wind, New Action, New Wind Trunks to swell & Pedal open Diapason, with valves & draw stop action, new set of German Pedals, Two coupling actions, Double pallets to lower Octave of Great Organ, Six Composition Pedals Extending double Diapason in Great Organ, and supplying large Metal Pipes, new reed stops adding swell coupler per estimate, £200 New key fittings, Desk, Key Jambs, draw Stops Rods & Jambs of Maple, new draw stop Knobs engraved and fixed, £28 Organ stool, £4'. Cubitt prepared the supports for the organ case dome and the internal works of the organ, and erected the supports for the figures on top of the organ, which were modelled by William Theed at a cost of £300 and carved under Gruner's supervision at a cost of £67 10s. Gruner charged a further £364 10s for painting the organ case. The organ was heard publicly for the first time on 2 July 1855 when Queen Victoria gave a concert to inaugurate 'the new Ball and Concert-room.'
Lincoln, Henry CephasGray & DavisonPennethorne, James Grüner, LudwigTheed, William
Royal Collection Trust
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- View the original record:https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/94783