Technical description: Brass, with tuning-slide, one ferrule-covered joint; single large gusset in bell; French bell rim. Right hand in bell chirality.Section lengths: from tuning-slide to mid-ferrule 361mm; from mid-ferrule to bell end 906mm. With hook for L3 or L4; fitting for music-card holder.; Type or system: 2 valves. Valve type: 2 Périnet valves, bottom-sprung, alignment by key on piston.
Roger J. Ward [Corporation]
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.12-4 Valve horns with narrow bore, with long air column (more than 2 m) and with crooks
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell with "GOLD MEDALS AWARDED" in banner, then below with trademark of bass drummer with "BEATS / THE / WORLD" on drum and under, "TRADE MARK", then below "R.J. WARD & SONS / 10 ST. ANNE ST. / LIVERPOOL"; on valve casings "1", "2" respectively; stamped on 1st valve casing "59c88".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.12-4 Valve horns with narrow bore, with long air column (more than 2 m) and with crooks
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from plane of bell to finger hook 450; bell 281.; Sounding length: ; Bore: instrument body at c|305mm from shank/crook receiver (local minimum bore), 11.4; valve cluster from 430mm to 497mm from shank/crook receiver, v.t.s. bore (1,2) c|11.6 ; main tuning-slide from 648mm to 930mm from shank/crook receiver, m.t.s. bore c|11.6; at 90.5mm from bell end, 92.6.Bell cutoff |500|Hz.Bell wall angle at D=100mm, 26.4°.Dia of crook receiver: m.r.t. 13.85 - 13.05.