Technical description: Brass; long model; no garland but turned-over bell rim without wire. Mouthpipe tuning shanks with ligature clamping, straight shank for E♭; alternative shank with coil for D♭. Valve type: 3 Périnet valves, bottom-sprung; straight-through windway when no valves operated.; Nominal pitch: E♭ / D♭. Usable pitch: Probably built for use at circa A₄=|452.4|Hz.
John Augustus Köhler.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed near bell rim "Köhler, Maker, Henrietta|St. Covent Garden, London".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: plane of bell to bow proximal 339; bell 117.; Sounding length: minimum 928 (in E?), 1083 (in D?).; Bore: mouthpipe at c|25mm from mouthpiece receiver (minimum bore) 8.3; valve cluster from 373mm to 455mm from mouthpiece receiver, v.t.s. bore (3,2,1) 9.3; at 464mm from bell end, c|9.4; at c|288mm from bell end, 15.65; at 66.5mm from bell end, 21.5.B|=|0.61 (in E?); B|=|0.69 (in D?).Bell cutoff |1200|Hz.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. of E? shank 9.6 - 8.35; of D? crook 9.55 - 9.1.