Technical description: Silver-plated brass. Echo bell removable, with stop on tenon to prevent collision with main bell when fully inserted. Windway runs shank/crook receiver - main tuning-slide - 3 - 2 - 1 - change valve - bell as selected. With (393a) B? shank, (393b) A shank, (393c) A? crook, (393d) G crook. Double-water key with single touchpiece.; Nominal pitch: B? etc.; ; ; ; ; ;
John Augustus Köhler.
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Inventory number:
- Place of production:
- Hornbostel-Sachs classification:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Specific materials/techniques:
- Decorative elements:
- Inscriptions:Inscribed on bell "KÖHLER'S PATENT / HARMONIC CORNOPEAN" and near rim "Köhler, Maker, Henrietta St,, Covent Garden, London"; sides of valve casings stamped "1", "2", "3"; shanks and crooks stamped respectively (393a) B?, (393b) "A", (393c) "A?", (393d) "G".
- Hornbostel-Sachs category:423.232.11 Valve horns with narrow bore, with short air column (less than 2 m)
- Repository:Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Measurements:Overall size: from end of echo bell to proximal bow 323; bell 130.; Sounding length: ; Bore: main tuning-slide, m.t.s. bore c|11.3; 3-valve cluster, v.t.s. bore (3,2,1) 11.65; 4th valve, slide tenon of echo bell bore 11.75; exit of echo bell 12.25.Dia of mouthpiece receiver: m.r.t. of B? shank 9.55 - 9.1; A shank 9.5 - 9.0; A? crook 9.4 - 9.05; G crook 9.4 - 8.95.